Posted in After Hours, Information, Technical Analysis on December 21st, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Wow, just finished up a whirlwind session with Brian Shannon (aka @alphatrends) reviewing a ton of charts for the week. He opened up his usual subscriber webinar session to the public, so I jumped at the opportunity to learn from him.
I furiously took some notes in an attempt to retain a fraction of the information for later use. Figured I’d share what I captured for those who weren’t able to make it. I signed-on a touch late, so missed the beginning part. However, Brian’s extensive knowledge and experience certainly shows in going through a ton of charts at lightning speed. Good stuff!
For those interested in learning more from Brian, he has a premium blog, AlphaTrends.net, on the Stocktwits Network. He is also the author of Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes. I don’t have that book yet, but it’s on my list, so hopefully I can provide a review someday.
Anyway, here are my notes from the webinar. As with all stock mentions on my site, these are neither recommendations or endorsements for any play. (See the Disclaimer.) I may have even mistyped something, so don’t blame either me or Brian if anything doesn’t jive with what you see in your own analysis of the stocks and charts.
Enjoy and happy trading!
- FLIR – official idea
- RFMD – official idea
- FCS – above 9.8 stop below 9.45
- ITRI – support at 67, b/o above 67.40+
- OHI – break above 19.05
- CNU – breaking out from consolidation
- PAET – look for p/b then get in… stop @ 4.03
- QLTI – stop 4.68 b/o @ 5.00
- VVUS – in @ 9.30, stop @ 9.35 room to 10.50
- VZ – broke resistance @ 33, advance then p/b. 33.20 entry with 32.9 stop
- AKNS – right @ 5dma up to 1.45
- CSUN – looking for p/b to 4.50, b/o on daily chart, could be chasing
- JASO – similar to what CSUN could do
- YGE – good possibility, could be b/o looming, good weekly chart, bot Jan 16 calls
- GENZ – looking week, possibly down to 42
- ENDP – below 19.50, b/d
- MUR – bearish flag
- TNDM – hammering @ support @ 20.50
- RIMM – at previously weekly support, could need to work to break above, needs to settle in, could set some higher lows and break above
- EXPE – Good weekly chart (6-26) 26 is prior support, now resistance, neutral over last 3 weeks, support 24.50-25.00 (prefer stocks like AF that are just possibly starting a move)
- QTWW – some support @ 1.05, but below DMA, neutral at best
- UMPQ – support @ 10DMA, p/b to 20DMA, broke resistance @ 12.50-12.60. Would like p/b to that level then past 12.80. Potential to 14.50-15.00
- JAZZ – lighter volume, good pattern on daily, possibly a little stretched on weekly, broke resistance late in day, could make to prior support @ 9.25
- CTXS – daily looks good, broke resistance, should wait for a p/b
- PCX – looking like AA, needs time to rebuild for another day or two then b/o
- LSCC – MAs in alignment. Stop @ 2.70. Look for move above 2.86
- PWER – In big uptrend, but need p/b before getting in.
- IO – b/o on weekly @ 4.00 (again similar to AF, AA) daily setting higher lows, b/o and pulled back to resistance, needs to clear 6.20 before looking at again (look @ 1min chart)
- ARTG – b/o on daily on good volume, inverted H/S on weekly, could get to 5.25
- SEED – breaking down below 5DMA, short-term downtrend, let it play out before making a move, week away from getting back above 5DMA (if at all)
- NABI – not thrilled on weekly timeframe, false breakouts @ 5.25 could still be a possibility
- CDE – below 50DMA, needs to play out similar to SEED, prior support @ 19.25 acted as resistance
- TVL – more neutral than anything, watch out for stocks under 500K daily volume
- TSO – rallying up to a declining 50DMA, neutral at best
- BPO – broke past resistance, retailer on some momentum, getting ready for next leg higher, watch out for lower highs on 30min. Needs to make higher high, stop @ 12.18
- MEA – pretty neutral D-list, getting volume on moves higher but no breakout, alert set @ 4.70 to watch, bullish consolidation on weekly
- COV – PLC stock, so watch for gaps. Solid rally on weekly, small consolidation right now. Needs to clear 47.50 and increasing 5DMA
- RHT – broke resistance on daily and weekly, not freshest b/o. Also good break on 30min, 29.50 should now be support
- BZH – Recovery from support, somewhat neutral, still lower highs on weekly
- CLX – Break resistance and pulled back to support. Currently declining 5DMA. Entry on today’s high, stop around 61.60.
- X – In nice uptrend, such a big run so a bit extended. Would need p/b to consider better r/r on play.
- OESX – Thinly traded. Nice b/o on daily with volume. Watch closely if it starts breaking down. Recent low on 10min as stop.
- ICE – Choppy stock, too irradic to look at.
- HW – Great b/o last week. Could have room up to 7.50. Look for p/b to 5DMA.
Posted in Expiration, Information on October 18th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Woohoo! Positive $400 for the week. Not my biggest gain, by any means, but any week positive is something to celebrate. Still feeling like I’m learning a lot, and definitely know there is still plenty to learn. This week being options expiration for October was particularily interesting. Biggest lesson for me this week is to cut losers short and let the winners run. Could have easily doubled my profits if I’d follow those two like I should have. That’s what next week is for!
To help share some of that learning I need to do, here is a typed up version of a couple sets of scanned trading rules, as provided by rolcol325. The list is apparently from an old trading card he had access to. At any rate, here are the lists: read more »
Posted in Information on September 20th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Eeek! Where does the time go?!? It’s been another extremely dry spell for me in updating this blog. I’ve just been pulled into so many different directions it’s hard to keep up with this thing. However, I do have some updates for my loyal fan base, whoever that may be.
While I haven’t been good about keeping up with this blog, I have been keeping up with working on my trading skills. It is still a little difficult doing this in a hobby, very part-time capacity. However, I’ve managed to tap into some really excellent sources of knowledge and advice that have taught me a ton over the past couple months.
read more »
Posted in Information on July 7th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Okay, I’ve been out of the market craziness for a few months now. A combination of factors involved, but I’m recharged and ready to go. And so is my account! I’m actually waiting for final clearance on the initial deposit into my shiny new thinkorswim account. I’m very excited to be ditching Etrade’s very-not-options-friendly platform for TOS’s setup. I’ve been playing around in there for a while, but excited to actually put some skin in and see how I can handle the pressure. read more »
Posted in New Position on February 25th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
I haven’t had time to finish my research post yet, but that didn’t preclude me from entry into a new position. After checking into DeVry, Inc. (DV) this weekend, a similar stock that looked like a decent play was a bearish setup on Apollo Group, Inc. (APOL).
Both of these equitites have been doing quite well considering the recession currently going on with most of the rest of the economy. Academia is where people tend to flee to when they either can’t get jobs and/or are working to bolster their qualifications in a more competitive job market. However, it currently looks like both are primed for a little breather on their run. read more »
Posted in Expiration, Position Update, Short Puts on February 21st, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
February options expiration.
All right, February equity options are done. I managed to pull in and retain about $600 for the month. Not to toot my own horn too much, but that’s not bad considering the size of my trading account (deposits totaling $3500), and that I originally received about $890 in cash through the sale of put options on PHM and AFAM. Here’s a review for the last 4-ish weeks on those stocks and the plays I made on them.
read more »
Posted in Position Update, Short Puts on February 16th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Happy President’s day everyone! The markets are closed today, but that just provides and extra day to take stock of where my positions are at and start to look ahead to new opportunities for March. After catching the Saturday morning brunch session with @tickerville through StockTwits, I’m geared up for some new positions.
But, more on new opportunities later. Let’s first dig into updates on our current holdings, as those always need to be the focus over future prospects. There’s only four days left until February expiration, but it only takes a day to wipe out profits if you’re not paying attention.
AFAM chart. Click to enlarge.
read more »
Posted in Position Update, Short Puts on February 10th, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Apologies for the lack of posts last week, but time worked against me. Fortunately for my current trades, time is working for me! Last week provided some welcome turn-around in the stock prices of Almost Family (AFAM) and Pulte Homes (PHM). Today, we’re giving some back so far. Here’s a snapshot of my open plays as of this afternoon:
Midday account snapshot, 2/9/2009
I need to provide an update on where things stand and a glimpse at the the remaining two weeks until options expiration. I was thinking about breaking this into a couple posts, one for each security, but in an effort to get this done sooner rather than later, I’ll keep it combined for this go around. read more »
Posted in After Hours, Position Update on February 3rd, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
AFAM after the close. Up!
Well, Almost Family finally rebounded today. There was even a decent continuation in the after-hours market, to top it off. Regular trading hours gain was at 7.62%, with decent volume for the day. Ideally, I’d like to see AFAM rise back above the 200-day moving average, which is sitting at about 35.00 right now. At the very least, some follow-through tomorrow will be critical to keep momentum going. read more »
Posted in Position Update on February 3rd, 2009 by STO Trader – View Comments
Account balance. Click to enlarge.
The first week of February indicates we’re getting close to expiration on the short put trades for PHM and AFAM. There’s still 17 days left until expiration, but time always moves forward, so I still believe in selling time to make money. Yea for short puts!
So, where are we today with the positions on Pulte Homes and Almost Family? They haven’t been too “Yea!” of late, to be honest. Things are finallly looking a little better than they did last week. PHM did all right, but AFAM almost tripled in value from the opening sale at $.85. Let’s take a little closer look at both of these and see if we’re still okay.
read more »